Its an album I've always liked,I think the reaction to it at the time was 'it's grand'.It's definitely grown a big fan base since!

It was off the back of a podcast (HardLore with lads from God's Hate and Harms Way) where they were raving about Gateways in the same way as Altars that made me go back. I've really grown to enjoy bands like GH style of modern US hardcore, which definitely takes a nod from DM like Gateways more than the first four record. Prob just right time thing for me, cause I can't get enough of it the last month.

Quote from: Squigs on August 06, 2024, 03:49:38 PMIt was off the back of a podcast (HardLore with lads from God's Hate and Harms Way) where they were raving about Gateways in the same way as Altars that made me go back. I've really grown to enjoy bands like GH style of modern US hardcore, which definitely takes a nod from DM like Gateways more than the first four record. Prob just right time thing for me, cause I can't get enough of it the last month.
Have you heard Alchemy of Flesh?,they have two albums.(well Its one guy does everything I think),he absolutely worships Gateways!,two really great albums.

I appreciate my views on MA aren't widely held, but I'd call Summoning Redemption their best song  :abbath:

Quote from: Squigs on August 06, 2024, 03:24:24 PMOff the point but back to the main topic, I've never really given Gateways much time until recently. I can see why it's not lauded with the classics, it doesn't have that velocity or vitality of the early records really, it's slow and much less dynamic, but fuck me if it's not really heavy. What was the reaction to this at the time? I know I downloaded it a long, long time ago and it wasn't what I was looking for at all in DM then. Was I wrong or have I mellowed a bit and can accept a shift in styles, hitting more of that mid-tempo pace? There isn't exactly a whole lot of memorable riffing going on, but there's something intoxicating about it, I keep coming back to it.

Recall a lot of folks raving about it and the reviews being pretty strong. It's definitely got some absolutely class stuff on it, but like FFAF, it's missing the clarity in the vocals and the hooks that Cowboy Dave brought to the band.

Quote from: Squigs on August 06, 2024, 03:24:24 PMOff the point but back to the main topic, I've never really given Gateways much time until recently. I can see why it's not lauded with the classics, it doesn't have that velocity or vitality of the early records really, it's slow and much less dynamic, but fuck me if it's not really heavy. What was the reaction to this at the time? I know I downloaded it a long, long time ago and it wasn't what I was looking for at all in DM then. Was I wrong or have I mellowed a bit and can accept a shift in styles, hitting more of that mid-tempo pace? There isn't exactly a whole lot of memorable riffing going on, but there's something intoxicating about it, I keep coming back to it.

It is a great album. I wasn't around when it was released but it seems as the years pass more people are warming up to it kind of similar to FFTTF. When I first got into MA not many seemed to like Formulas but nowadays it is some people's favourite record. Even the last album falls into this category. I have always liked Kingdoms but I often see people lately saying they hated it on release but now went back to it and are starting to enjoy it.

The only bad release MA have is Illud. A-F are classics and then G, H and K are very good but don't come close to the early material.

I've tried to get into Kingdoms over the years but it's kinda monotone to be honest.
Illud is comedy gold.
Took that advance from Season Of Mist (and it was meant to be a pretty good deal too) and just shat it out.

Altars is still their peak, and probably my favourite DM album, but revisiting Formulas and Heretic they sound really interesting. Very complex and heavy, they really sound like being trapped in Quake/Doom which is apparently what Trey did 24/7 at the time.

Formulas is a ferocious album!,love it!

Enshrined by grace off Heretic was a deadly tune and seeing it on Mtv 2 late at night use to kick me in the bollocks as a young lad. Must revisit Heretic and Gateways.

Heretic had its moments,but poor production let it down badly.Gateways with a more beefed up drum sound would do wonders for that album imo.

Quote from: Paul keohane on August 08, 2024, 02:31:41 PMHeretic had its moments,but poor production let it down badly.Gateways with a more beefed up drum sound would do wonders for that album imo.
agreed there. Heretic had poor artwork too. I still have the 2 disc edition that was released at the time. Gateways is a great album in comparison.