#45 February 12, 2024, 11:54:27 AM Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:58:18 AM by StoutAndAle
Funnily enough, I found myself in the same chorus boat just before Christmas.

I lobbed a fair few hints and outright "are you making a run of fucking chorus pedals any time soon" bombs at Ochoill/QuillFX but he wouldn't bite.  :laugh:

Picked up the MXR analog - https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-analog-chorus/

I'm happy with my purchase but I still haven't had the time to really play with or get the hang of it. One thing that it seems to need is a fair bit of input volume to get it... em... chorusing - but this could be down to me not knowing what I'm doing. :laugh:

Think it was less than €100 on Amazon. It was certainly cheaper than Thomann and far, far cheaper than my local guitar shop who seem to think that people have not yet heard of the internet.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on February 09, 2024, 09:42:43 PMThe one I really couldn't gel with was the Earthquaker Sea Machine..maybe I just got a bad one but I found it very thin sounding and a bit of a pain in the arse to dial in. You can't go wrong with a Boss OR EHX though

Glad to read this. The EqD Sea Machine was another one that I had my eye on - but it was a bit pricey for me, considering I'm not in a band at the minute.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on February 12, 2024, 11:54:27 AMI lobbed a fair few hints and outright "are you making a run of fucking chorus pedals any time soon" bombs at Ochoill/QuillFX but he wouldn't bite.  :laugh:
You'll hate me come summertime because I am about to start the ground work on these next month, it just took me the entirety of last year to design/redevelop all the dirt I was working on so I had to clear that all out first.  I'm still sitting on rakes of it since it seems everyone just wants the delays now.  Not that I am complaining, I like those delays, just wish I had built twenty of them instead of five  :laugh:
Anyway.  Yes I will have a chorus this year but not until summer sometime.

Ended up going with the Boss CE-2W as it seems to be so universally considered the best online, and also sounds great in demos. Thing is, when I compared it next to the chorus on my Kemper, it genuinely wasn't all that different (Kemper has a specific Boss chorus preset). I was expecting the Kemper to be fairly similar but the Boss to just have this extra level of quality and magic to it (I've had this experience with a few other effects I've compared where the Kemper is very good, but the dedicated pedal is just obviously higher quality) but I just wasn't hearing it! Certainly not $300 worth more. Either way, I only got a quick-ish test with it late last night. I'll give it a much more thorough going over at the weekend. If I'm still not hearing much difference though I guess I'll just be returning it!

Returned the CE-2W and went with an EHX Small Clone. Now this is the stuff!

Also probably the most attractive pedal on my board...

#49 March 17, 2024, 12:02:22 PM Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:25:18 AM by Pentagrimes
Just a heads up if you're looking for ultra high gain/metal distortions, there's a rake up very affordable on Adverts currently. I snagged a This Heavy Earth "Fleshrot" , and the same guy has a Klirrton "OH My Goat" , Lichtlaerm Audio "Gehenna" (can vouch for this being an excellent bit of kit)and a few other HM2 style bits up. There's a Lone Wolf Audio "Vigilante" on there as well. All under 150.

Just looking at those names types out looks ridiculous, but if you know about these things you'll know what they are

edit: Bought the "Flesh Rot" off him, absolutely whopper pedal for metal stuff. Getting some nice Celtic Frost/Divine Eve sounds out of it.