Hi folks. I'm an infrequent enough poster but regular lurker here.
I'm a brewer by trade but an artist in my spare time, and I've long been looking to produce some artwork for some metal stuff; albums, posters, t-shirts, anything.
I work mostly in pen and ink on paper, old school, and my Instagram linked here will have some examples of my work.
If you are a band or label looking for decoration and my work fits, I'd appreciate being considered.

https://www.instagram.com/killian.o.ficheallaigh?igsh=M2djMnNmdjVpcHZ2

I've just checked it Killian. It's quality artwork!!

I can definitely see it being used as cover art. Have you contacted bands and labels you could present your art to?

#2 February 04, 2024, 09:55:26 PM Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:28:04 PM by boozegeune
As stupid as it sounds, no, I don't contact bands or labels directly. I feel that it would be lost in the sea of spam and crap that even I get. I've also been telling myself the lie that if I just focus on building up a better body of work it would pay off.

I've had some really encouraging serious enquiries that never advanced through one thing or another, but I definitely need to push it more proactively.

Edit - and thank you for the kind words.

Some of those look great!

Followed you there last week, love that style of art too and your work is great.

I don't know if you use FB at all but it is worth setting up a page there then using the page itself to join loads of music genre groups - and Irish metal groups - that you want to make art for.  Most will let you put in a quick promo post if it isn't over the top or too often, and I often see people in these groups looking for art or artists to work with for releases.  It's a good start and a great way to build up a gallery of works to get more bands later.

If you are good with poster design it might be worth putting the word out there to some of the local promoters and bands you have friends in, even if you do a couple of mock ups based on old gigs to show your style it would be a good way to show your work.

I notice some artists in groups online (in particular a stoner doom FB group I am in) would build a catalog of generic works with room for a band name or anything on there that they can sell ready made for shirt designs, EP art etc, obviously again not ideal but a good way to get some footing in it.  If you poke around those groups you'll see what I mean.

Anyway best of luck with it, if I hear of anyone looking for shirt or art designs too I'll send them to look at your stuff, word of mouth is still the best of the lot.

This is good advice, ive not been on Facebook in around 10 years, i never knew it was so active. and thank you also for the kind words.

Quote from: boozegeune on February 07, 2024, 01:56:00 PMThis is good advice, ive not been on Facebook in around 10 years, i never knew it was so active. and thank you also for the kind words.
No problem!  Normal FB is stone dead but there's lots of groups that are still worth a look in and that's where most of the activity is now, it isn't ideal but it is a great help.  I've sold pedals to lads across the world through some of the groups so they definitely have a use.