Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 02, 2023, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: son of the Morrigan on April 28, 2023, 04:04:34 PMThe measurements I gave there was assuming it was reclaimed building brick ya had man.
Just realized its actually paving brick ya have so adjust accordingly, i.e. you prob. only need your trench to be 5 inches deep.
hope ya get the general idea anyway.

Sound out, man. I meant to get back to you after I finished the job but between levelling the area by hand, laying the patio slabs, the gravel and then the bricks I ended being at it til much later than I expected and I was fairly broken.

Got it done though - it's not perfect but I'm happy enough with it (for a first time go at it). Your advice on not getting too over-ambitious with it stuck in my head the whole time.  :laugh:

A beer hasn't tasted that good in a long time.

No bother at all man, glad it went well for ya.

#166 May 02, 2023, 02:27:03 PM Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:30:02 PM by jobrok1
Quote from: Thorn on April 29, 2023, 06:34:28 PMYou probably know this but get a bit of salt around those lettuce, the slimey buggers will soon think twice

Salting the ground is never a good thing.
Invaders used to salt fields to stop their conquered from growing and keep them subjugated.
I use rock salt on my drive to keep the weeds down.

A sprinkle of salt around the border of the bed might just be enough, though.
Copper tape around the bed is another option.

Quote from: jobrok1 on May 02, 2023, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: Thorn on April 29, 2023, 06:34:28 PMYou probably know this but get a bit of salt around those lettuce, the slimey buggers will soon think twice

Salting the ground is never a good thing.
Invaders used to salt fields to stop their conquered from growing and keep them subjugated.
I use rock salt on my drive to keep the weeds down.

A sprinkle of salt around the border of the bed might just be enough, though.
Copper tape around the bed is another option.

Yup, sodium chloride is toxic to plants, plus can affect other beneficial creatures in the garden, so wouldn't be something I would use. 

Used to have a couple of thrushes who came into the garden regularly but I haven't seen them this year.  Need them to come back and sort the slugs and snails out - plus watching them try and get into a snails shell is truly fascinating.   

Quote from: Giggles on May 02, 2023, 08:41:46 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on April 30, 2023, 10:30:22 AMI've 9 seeds of weed in for the summer

Indoor or outdoor? What strain?

If I knew how to post pics I would but basically get down to your local head shop and buy autoflower seeds of roughly 50/50 mix and they'll grow in your garden with fuck all water or feed. Do it in the next week or so and you're still not too late. Nothing else will work outdoor here but I've saved myself thousands and thousands for about 100 quid a year for years.

If you want any more advice, PM and I'll be more than happy to help out in any way.

Fools game not to be on this.

Edit: as a veteran of the indoor game I'm never going back to it as a result

Also this goes for the lads in other countries, especially the ones who end up breaking into their own gaffs as a result of letting others do the work for them but also cleaning out their own pockets for the pleasure.

Not thinking of anyone in particular or anything.....

4 full weekends and some evenings after work but I'm done (or at least to a point where I think it looks good anyway).

I did every single bit of it on my own with only podcasts and tunes to keep me company. My neighbours are now quite familiar with the first 5 Black Sabbath albums and The Jesus Lizard. :laugh:

Some of the stuff nearly broke me - like having to get all the ivy off the walls and moving all the logs from trees that I had cut down, cut up and stacked before I started But I lost a few pounds and learned some new things along the way. In an odd Stockholm Syndrome-lite way - I now kind of look forward to doing a bit out there whereby a month ago I hated it.

Great work, looking really good.

Unfortunately the war with ivy is never over  :abbath:

Looks excellent, great work.
Mad to get back and sort my own yard out but it is a tremendous mess.  Does anyone know how bad things will turn out for me if I just mix cement and water through the gravel that's already on the ground (if I weed it) and levelling it off?  Because I have been tempted