Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this so far.

Anyway mostly into the pike fishing myself but will try catch anything. Happy enough to whip out any of the regular coarse fish around. Love a brown trout on the worm or spinner as well but haven't ever taken up the fly fishing.

What do ye be at lads?

I spent many hours as a pup either on the river or the lake trying and failing to land monsters. Never caught a salmon.
Back then it was perch and pike.

Just a few months ago I got back into with a lad from work.
He is one of those that has a rod for everyday of the week and them some.

It's all shore fishing so far for pollock and gar fish. They fight like demons and come back for more.
It feels like recently I have spent a fortune on lures.
Just got a new rod for fresh water fishing and a killer new reel for my saltwater set up.

It's such a buzz when one of those big pollack takes a bite and bittersweet when they get away.
My kids were thrilled the first afternoon I brought dinner home fresh from the sea.

It's great craic and it's time out in the fresh air.

I never caught anything out of the sea yet. Have tried throwing in a lure off the rocks on occasion but to no avail. Tbf that's generally what happens when one hasn't a notion of what they're doing so I was never disappointed either. Looking forward to grabbing a trout or 2 in march because I can actually catch those.

As you say it's the whole being out trying is the best part of the whole exercise. How many people I've met over the years who couldn't understand going fishing at all when there's a chance one might catch nothing but I can't even explain it to them why I'd do that

That's it exactly.
There is always the anticipation of " this is the cast" or the one more cast thing we always do.
The spot I go to is quite good on all levels. Accessibility, shelter, scenery etc.
My goal is to land a bass in the upcoming sessions.
I love the conditions that each different local "expert" attaches to their success.

Have gone out on Clew Bay a few times when I was younger. Reefing 5 mackerel out at a time and cooking them on the boat. Savage. Not much fishing involved though.

Have done bits and pieces of river and lake but not in recent years. Keep meaning to get back into it. Soon.

Quote from: Circlepit on December 30, 2022, 08:29:06 AMThat's it exactly.
There is always the anticipation of " this is the cast" or the one more cast thing we always do.
The spot I go to is quite good on all levels. Accessibility, shelter, scenery etc.
My goal is to land a bass in the upcoming sessions.
I love the conditions that each different local "expert" attaches to their success.

Does be fierce hard to go home at times!

The last time we were out we just got back as the school bus was pulling away and my kids about to give out.
There are far worse reasons to be late.

Quote from: Circlepit on December 31, 2022, 04:24:07 PMThere are far worse reasons to be late.

As I know only too well...  :-[