Anyone have any experience using drum machines. Kinda have a hankering to get one and mess around with more synthy stuff. I don't want a steep learning curve. Plug n play jobby.

Yup, Drumbrute Impact, straight up.  Handy learning curve, great functionality.  On board sounds are great for electronic music, if you fancy using it for "real" drums you can very easily sync it to the likes of MT Power Kit or DKfH over USB and play those kits with it.  Give it a look on YouTube there to see how it goes.  They had one set up in Future Sound & Vision before the Lockdown, worth sticking your head in there to try it out, they had stock of them too.  Probably the handiest €270 I've spent in ages, workflow for writing music severely improved and absolutely lethal sport had with it.

Good man, Young Quill. Might have a sconce on Youtube so and see what the craic is.

Lol no bother at all, if you have any questions about it that aren't answered there let me know!

Drumbrute Impact acquired. Now to figure out how to work it!

Im actually kinda surprised that drum machines (actual hardware units) are still a thing given how good programs like Superior Drummer etc are these days... 

#6 October 14, 2020, 02:10:26 PM Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:13:59 PM by ochoill
I used to be of that frame of mind but it is significantly easier and more intuitive to write humanised patterns on a machine for me.  I'm still using MT Power Kit of course, the machine plays into the MIDI sequencer in Reaper, and I can tweak as I like from there.  But there is something very pleasant about having the machine so tactile and available in front of me while writing music in general at home - it comes more naturally.

Also I'm using it for 'real' and electronic drums, so the on board sounds are perfect, and in sequence with a synth so it starts to come together a bit more when you run a few bits of gear off DAW like this.  Also presents the option of stringing them together into a stack of pedals or multieffects and creating layers and noises that way.  Works away from a DAW too so useful live as well as for writing away from a screen - just plug the machine into a speaker and away you go.

Drum machines in general have mostly expanded to be for mainly live performance and to sit well in a home studio setup, so they accent the use of the software side of things rather than be replaced by, or replace, virtual instruments.  I'm all for working in DAW too, of course, it's horses for courses here, everything is a viable method to get the tunes out of your head so long as it suits you.

I used a drum machine years ago and found it a tad tedious. I much prefer using drumming software. Have to get new software with more sounds for new music. Any recommendations I'd appreciate. I used ez drummer/superior drummer. Might go for the metal version of that

Its hard to beat EZD for getting up and running quickly for song writing.  I wouldnt record with it as it's not that flexible for processing sounds, but the ease of use is excellent. Great sounds with their EZX packs, and an excellent selection of midi packs to choose from.    Id start there.

Superior is is exactly that - its superior to EZD in every way, but still quite easy to use, just more of an advanced feature set.  Well worth it.