Hi all, got some good advice here before when I was buying a starter electric guitar set for my son last year. He has really taken to it and is going well in lessons. To take it to the next step I'd like to educate myself to what kind of pedals and amps etc  to play metal he will need. His guitar is a basic Harvey Benton and he has a small practice amp. Thanks

All you really need for metal is a decent distorted/overdriven tone. The rest is all fluff.

But, if you must... Don't worry about separate pedals for now. If you must introduce him to the world of effects, something like a Boss Katana 50 amp would have all the high-gain tones and effects he could wish for. Alternatively, a used Line6 pod into the existing amp would do the trick cheaply.

Seconding the Boss Katana idea. Haven't used one but have heard amazing things about them. A 50 watt should be plenty for practicing and if he ends up starting a band with his mates should be plenty loud

Yeah you could do much worse than a Katana 50 if he's just starting out, absolutely plenty of stuff on it and it will last ages, lets him figure out what he's looking for effects wise too for future reference.  If there's already a decent amp on hand then still go for a multieffects unit like an ME50 or similar.

If you reckon the amp is ok for the foreseeable future and it's pedals you're more interested in, you could get a tuner, distortion, chorus, delay and reverb for about €100 on aliexpress. Mooer, and even more so Rowin and Mosky do clones of well known pedals for around €20 each. The tuner is like 12 bucks and I use it on my board.
A second hand multi FX would also do the job.

If you're looking at upgrading the amp, Boss Katana.

Quote from: Emphyrio on May 11, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
If you reckon the amp is ok for the foreseeable future and it's pedals you're more interested in, you could get a tuner, distortion, chorus, delay and reverb for about €100 on aliexpress. Mooer, and even more so Rowin and Mosky do clones of well known pedals for around €20 each. The tuner is like 12 bucks and I use it on my board.
A second hand multi FX would also do the job.

If you're looking at upgrading the amp, Boss Katana.

Yup, great idea if his amp is already decent.

Check out 60 cycle hum on Youtube. He does reviews of batches of the cheap aliexpress/amazon stuff. For 100-120 euro you can get kitted out with a couple of basic pedals and they're leagues better than the cheap stuff we would all have had access to 5+years ago for much bigger money.  For metal tuner, distortion, fuzz, delay and either chorus, phaser or flanger. maybe reverb too but the cheap reverbs tend to not be very good