Hi All

Can the fuzz pedal aficionados help me out here?

I got an MXR Super Badass Variac Fuzz pedal but I just can't seem to get a sound I like out of it. I was hoping to use it to get a Yob/Pallbearer kind of tone and it's just not working out for me.

Just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. Anyone have any advice?  (I'm running an LTD Eclipse with SD JB and 59 pickups into a Fender Bassbreaker 007)

Cheers

#1 October 02, 2019, 03:12:32 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:14:06 PM by ochoill
Dunno about Pallbearer's rig off hand, but I know Mike Scheidt in Yob is using a Quantum Mystic by Black Arts Toneworks as his main board sound, which is an overdrive not a fuzz.  Closest you'll get to their tone is driving an OR50 with one of those.  Going into a small tube combo like yours, I'd probably try stack your MXR fuzz with either a drive or preamp pedal of some sort to get close to what you're after.

If it's any help I'm getting a fairly sludgy heavy tone by dialling in a big muff into a battlehammer, going into a Laney 15w amp clean channel (slightly dirtied) to 2x12 cab.  Various other stuff but looking to stack like that and toy with the settings will get you going.  Also turn your amp up.

#2 October 02, 2019, 03:14:40 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:16:18 PM by Pentagrimes
Moose would be the man to answer definitively but just watching a few videos there, it seems like a far more splattery fuzz than the kind of thing you're after, more of a Superfuzz/Fuzzface sounding thing than anything, so it would seem you've maybe bought the wrong kind of fuzz pedal. AFAIK the bands you mention use more Big Muff style pedals (one of the Pallbearer lads uses an EQD Cloven Hoof and the other a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR, ) , boosted with overdrives.

I think Mike from Yob uses a compressor too, something to do with greater note clarity/separation. He does have quite a chunky and articulate tone, definitely not fuzz territory. Haven't a baldy about Pallbearer though.

Cheers folks

Had the apartment to myself this afternoon so had another play around with my fuzz paired up with my distortion pedal and TS9.

The fuzz just made everything sound like it was wrapped in a wet towel! Using an OD was a good shout.

Ended up getting the kind of tone I wanted from setting the amp slightly crunchy with the TS9 going into it with gain, volume and tone all turned up full. Threw a wah, delay and phaser in for the craic and it sounds savage   :abbath:

On a completely unrelated not would anyone like to buy an MXR super badass variac fuzz?  :)

Quote from: Tee on October 04, 2019, 03:10:24 PM
I think Mike from Yob uses a compressor too, something to do with greater note clarity/separation. He does have quite a chunky and articulate tone, definitely not fuzz territory. Haven't a baldy about Pallbearer though.

Pretty sure it's just compressor for cleans. The QM is based on the Ross Distortion which definitely has some fuzz qualities to it but I agree his tone isn't exactly fuzzy.

Quote from: moose on October 07, 2019, 08:17:58 PM

Pretty sure it's just compressor for cleans. The QM is based on the Ross Distortion which definitely has some fuzz qualities to it but I agree his tone isn't exactly fuzzy.

You're right, I checked the interview I was thinking about on the earthquaker devices site and he talks about how his inspiration for the Quantum Mystic was a Ross distortion running through an mxr dyna comp (or vice versa). The compressor must have tightened up the Ross or something.

Quote from: Tee on October 09, 2019, 01:03:15 PM
Quote from: moose on October 07, 2019, 08:17:58 PM

You're right, I checked the interview I was thinking about on the earthquaker devices site and he talks about how his inspiration for the Quantum Mystic was a Ross distortion running through an mxr dyna comp (or vice versa). The compressor must have tightened up the Ross or something.

A mate of mine designed it.

Tis a tasty sounding pedal. Having looked at Mikes pedalboard rigs now, you'd need deep pockets to start chasing those tones  :laugh: pretty comprehensive pedal board(s).

If you're going off that Equipboard listeing I posted you have to bear in mind that's a list of all the gear they've used at various stages, doesn't necessarily mean it's all on the board.

Just judging by the photos online, two boards with about 8+ pedals on each not including power supplies. Mainly boutique type pedals

I presume builders are sending ho free pedals these days too.