Lineup looks great so far: Dodheimsgard, Samael, Arcturus, Trelldom, Morturay Drape, Tormentor, Tulus, Mesarthim, Tsjuder, Whoredom Rife, Koldbrann, Austere, etc + more TBA

https://www.facebook.com/cosmicvoidfestival
https://www.cosmicvoidfestival.com/bands/

I went to this last September not the best festival I have ever attended but not the worst either. Way too many bands crammed into the 3 days. Line up looks decent this year but everything about London is far too expensive from the accommodation to the pints. Even the public transport was a disgrace it seems to be all single fares now.

Quote from: mickO))) on January 17, 2024, 08:21:39 PMI went to this last September not the best festival I have ever attended but not the worst either. Way too many bands crammed into the 3 days. Line up looks decent this year but everything about London is far too expensive from the accommodation to the pints. Even the public transport was a disgrace it seems to be all single fares now.

I'm a seasoned London gig goer and usually found it decent value for money pre Covid, with pints being approx Cork prices despite the reputation. Have been over a few times this year though and the pints have gone through the roof - not helped by staff in the Underworld / World's End doing an extra bit of pilfering by adding on a tip on the card machine (and they only take card) before letting you tap! Gig ticket price has also gone through the roof - was at Vader in the Underworld and it was ~€45 for a ticket! Same price for Marduk in April - will probably still head over, although tickets are €10 less in Dublin!

Quote from: mickO))) on January 17, 2024, 08:21:39 PMI went to this last September not the best festival I have ever attended but not the worst either. Way too many bands crammed into the 3 days. Line up looks decent this year but everything about London is far too expensive from the accommodation to the pints. Even the public transport was a disgrace it seems to be all single fares now.

good to know you need a dedicated Oyster card and credit/debit cards don't work with Oyster system anymore

#4 January 18, 2024, 12:07:11 PM Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 12:09:35 PM by Halo
Any contactless payment card will work on TfL services, you do not need an oyster card.

They run a daily/weekly cap system with no paper tickets, just tap on (and off for the tube and trams) and the cost for the day is calculated and taken from your account at the end of each day (e.g. £8.10 is the daily cap on Zone 1-2 travel).

If you want a travelcard you will need to load it on an oyster card.

This only applies within this areas which goes as far south as Gatwick, as far north as Luton Airport and as far west as Heathrow (it goes somewhere out east but that's a waste of fucking time)

On the festival side of things three of the venues are super close but Islington Academy is 20 minutes away (or so) by tube

p.s. TfL developed the tech behind accepting contactless payment and are selling it to a lot of transport authorities globally (including NY) they are more likely to throw the Osyter card away than stop using contactless.

Quote from: Malco on January 17, 2024, 04:34:45 PMLineup looks great so far: Dodheimsgard, Samael, Arcturus, Trelldom, Morturay Drape, Tormentor, Tulus, Mesarthim, Tsjuder, Whoredom Rife, Koldbrann, Austere, etc + more TBA

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered my ticket now.

Quote from: Halo on January 18, 2024, 12:07:11 PMAny contactless payment card will work on TfL services, you do not need an oyster card.

They run a daily/weekly cap system with no paper tickets, just tap on (and off for the tube and trams) and the cost for the day is calculated and taken from your account at the end of each day (e.g. £8.10 is the daily cap on Zone 1-2 travel).

If you want a travelcard you will need to load it on an oyster card.

This only applies within this areas which goes as far south as Gatwick, as far north as Luton Airport and as far west as Heathrow (it goes somewhere out east but that's a waste of fucking time)

On the festival side of things three of the venues are super close but Islington Academy is 20 minutes away (or so) by tube

p.s. TfL developed the tech behind accepting contactless payment and are selling it to a lot of transport authorities globally (including NY) they are more likely to throw the Osyter card away than stop using contactless.

Okay, thanks for your input about Oyster/contactless cards. I'll ask my friends from London what's the current situation.

Yeah, those three Camden venues are super close. UK Deathfest 2022 had the same system. O2 Islington is the only venue which will operate on Friday, and it won't operate during the weekend, all gigs will be in Camden

Quote from: hellfire on January 18, 2024, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: Malco on January 17, 2024, 04:34:45 PMLineup looks great so far: Dodheimsgard, Samael, Arcturus, Trelldom, Morturay Drape, Tormentor, Tulus, Mesarthim, Tsjuder, Whoredom Rife, Koldbrann, Austere, etc + more TBA

yeah, I couldn't resist as well  :abbath:

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered my ticket now.

Was over last week and my aib card wouldn't work for contactless on the tube. Same for a mate. Other banks seemed grand.

My AIB card worked but the fares were not cheap. I was staying in a place in between Camden and the Islington Academy so I ended up having to also pay extra to go to different zones.

The Underworld is right across the road from the electric ballroom but the bands play one after another so you have one band playing until 8.40 in the underworld then the next band starts at 8.40 in the electric ballroom meaning if two bands you like are playing one after the other then you either have to miss the last 10 mins of one or the first 10 mins of the other because you will be queueing to get through security. The venues switch over and back like this all night. If the Underworld fills up then people are turned away. They opened a third venue last year for people who couldn't get into the Underworld but it was just local bands playing that nobody had heard of.

Just so people know as well last year the Friday night was in the Islington and you could only go to that show if you had a 3 day pass they would not sell single tickets for it which seemed to annoy a lot of people because they wanted to see Mare so my guess is they will do the same this year and it will be two of the top attractions headlining and co-headlining that night.

Dark Sonority announced for next year. I said I wouldn't be too pushed on going back to this but I am considering it now. It was Mare that got me to go in 2023 and I said if Dark Sonority was announced for the fest this past weekend I probably would have went.