The slog is just part of the game. Some jams you're ready to go and they're just sorta shite. Others, feeling half arsed and they end up being wildly productive. For the last few years it's just me and Johnny, drums, write everything and then develop it further when the lads are there. Have to deal with whatever circumstances arise and plough on. Obviously as everyone gets older the dynamic of life changes and you do what you can, when you can. Still love it. It's just part of me.

Quote from: The Great Cull on July 08, 2024, 09:35:07 PM
Quote from: Giggles on July 08, 2024, 08:19:00 PMMetal is a young man's game? Tell that to Rob Halford!!

I fucking wish someone would tell him

He's got access to some great painkillllllllllaaaas and can plough on.

I'm practicing with the band tomorrow night and because of where I live and the room is it's an hour across the city at the tail end of rush hour.
If it goes well it will be worth the traffic.
I'm quite lucky despite the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, we are all the same age roughly and 90% of the time we agree on layout etc.
Humping the gear. That will forever and always be a pain in the hole.

I reckon lot of it depends on your reasoning for doing it/what you are expecting to get out of it. If you want to be out touring, recording etc that's fair enough, but I would be of the opinion it should be about something that brings you form of joy first and foremost! No point doing and subjecting yourself to all sorts of work and effort, just to go and complain about it - the only reason for doing that is ego and really not doing it for yourself and the smile it should bring to your face.
I reconnected with a drummer I used to jam with decades back, a while ago, and we have great craic just getting together every fortnight usually, and just belting through load of Old School Death Metal tracks we love and randomly write bits of our own stuff. No plans, preconceptions etc - just 3 solid hours of playing the music we love and it does what it should do - brings a smile to our faces!
It amazes me the amount of people we see/run into in the rehearsal place that can't seem to process we just do it for joy of playing our instruments/music we love, and not having a band name really seems to confuse them!!?
I mean did any of you first start playing with thoughts of it being anything more than fun/hobby/craic with your mates?

Not surprised reading about the satisfaction of going solo here. A few people, in bands even, highly recommended me to go that route and just make stupid amounts of demos for fun. Easier said than done though when you lack space and are highly dysfunctional in getting all the gear set up.

Made some attempts about meeting up and jamming but in general, same issues as echoed before. For my age range (mid 20s and early 20s), I feel a lot of people have fear of commitment - In my and some friends experience, compared to other cultures, Irish don't have as much personalities with deep obsession for their passions. Maybe just a result of the low population density or a generational thing?

With older heads, - you can kind of sense that inner teenage metalhead in them spark up a bit but then wife/kids/job popups up and you hear 'sorry pal but...'!

I feel similar in some ways, with a shitty work schedule that sometimes has me across the country at short notice or working late. I find getting in to Dublin lately, is really stressful and expensive which makes me hesitant to advertise about getting something going outside of where I live.

I've been trying to get something going (more alt-rock/post punk than metal) for a little bit but I'm just running into dead ends.

Lads I know will give me all the "yeah, no bother" chat in the world when we're in a pub, half-cut suggesting to start something but when it comes to plugging in, the excuses begin.

Also - I contacted a few bands that were looking for members, who were doing things that I was interested in or had influences like mine. In most of these cases, the stumbling block is my age. A lot of these bands are in their early 20s so it would look like their weird uncle was on the side of the stage playing guitar for them.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 10, 2024, 01:43:24 PMAlso - I contacted a few bands that were looking for members, who were doing things that I was interested in or had influences like mine. In most of these cases, the stumbling block is my age. A lot of these bands are in their early 20s so it would look like their weird uncle was on the side of the stage playing guitar for them.

Yeah that's a very real thing for me. I'm 44 and if I was to even consider getting back into the live thing it would have to be exclusively with auld lads. Or at the very least, predominantly auld lads. Otherwise the cringe is unbearable.

So once you factor that criteria into the already HIGHLY fucking unlikely odds, it really does become mission impossible.

The age thing wouldn't concern me in the least if the dudes had the right attitude, that is, they were mature enough to enjoy a good dick joke.

I fear that good mickey jokes are just another casualty of the changing musical landscapes.

They're all about the non-binary, identify as a cock jokes these days. They/them just aren't the same...

Quote from: The Great Cull on July 12, 2024, 05:58:14 PMThey're all about the non-binary, identify as a cock jokes these days. They/them just aren't the same...

How about lady bulge jokes?  ;)

QuoteNot surprised reading about the satisfaction of going solo here.

For me anyway this is the way to go. I miss the better aspects of the rehearsal room and playing live but don't for a second miss the cajoling of individuals into getting shit done. It was the same in any band I've been in - one maybe two individuals driving things, it gets tiresome after a while. You may as well work on your own terms - brings much more satisfaction.

Quote from: Circlepit on July 09, 2024, 01:51:02 PMHumping the gear. That will forever and always be a pain in the hole.

This is a big one for me these days. My days of lugging a 50-60lb tube amp up staircases are definitely over. I am a Kemper man all the way now. Show up with my guitar and a tiny little carry case that weighs about 10lb-15lbs, easy!

I do miss the tube amps sometimes, but I would never go back.