August 22, 2023, 01:36:45 AM Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 01:50:39 AM by astfgyl
don't know if there's any point going to gigs at all after that one. It was just too good too rhythmic too heavy i just don't see why the rest would bother.

seriously that gig changed me.

There were two of roughly the same calibre which were FNM and GODFLESH and maybe in a way maybe a bit of Green Velvet but no this was different

Quote from: astfgyl on August 22, 2023, 01:36:45 AMdon't know if there's any point going to gigs at all after that one. It was just too good too rhythmic too heavy i just don't see why the rest would bother.

Pretty much how I felt an hour in, I can't see anyone topping that. The slow build, the repetition past the point of endurance, the eventual release. I've never seen a room full of people so involved and in sync with what was happening onstage.

What a gig! Barley saw a phone the entire gig everyone engrossed in the music, was fucking incredible

The only downside was the Monday night of it. Still buzzing this morning after that. Actually I didn't see anyone on the phones either now you mention it

I saw the odd one but it was refreshing to be at a gig without a sea of screens in front of you. Gira called out someone for texting from the front row, but he had a laugh about it in the end.

Hard to believe he's pushing 70, presumably that's why he sat throughout. The way he 'conducted' them was great, a look or nod was enough at times.

It was my third time seeing them.

The previous two times had been at The Button Factory.

What can you say? Where do you start?

The intensity of it is mad at times. I particularly enjoyed the first song where the maelstrom just got louder and louder and Gira started dancing around towards the end like some shaman.

When they reach a level of borderline aural assualt and just stay there for ages, it's incomparable to any other act really. It's more like some ritual than a "gig".

How they put themselves through that every night is pretty amazing.

I was a bit curious to see how the newer material would go over, considering it's a bit more acoustic and mellower, in places.

Truth be told, I don't think they're as engaging when they are at their quietest. They're still really good, don't get me wrong, but I think the really good stuff is when they're bringing max volume.

Was sent a few clips, well jealous.

I thought the quiet parts were somewhat welcome every now and again. Can honestly say I've never seen anything like it in terms of intensity. Puts the recorded output to shame for the most part and having a lad sitting in a chair for something so intense added to the weirdness of it somewhat. I'd never even looked at a youtube of them live before either so had no idea what to expect

I have a live DVD (or 2) of them I haven't watched yet, came with one of the recent albums. Tomorrow night sorted.