Merry Christmas, etc.

So, I'm back in Ireland for a few days and I've noticed that both my and my lady friend's phones are displaying the R for roaming icon instead of 3G or 3G+ like they usually do when we're in Ireland or any other EU country (such as Spain just two days ago). This seems to be independent of whichever network they connect to (3, eir, Vodafone) and independent of the fact that neither of us have the same French provider.

Any idea what gives? Cheers and happy New Year!

Meaning, of course that data isn't working properly unless we're in a WiFi area.

Can you go into your network settings and manually change networks?

Might also be worth reinserting the SIM card or rebooting the phone if you haven't already tried that

If they're Android phones the settings are probably restricting data while roaming on a foreign network. That happened to me before on a trip somewhere. I can't remember the setting but do a search when on WiFi and you should be able to figure out the setting to change to enable it

Did all that stuff already to no avail, but thanks for the suggestions. It went briefly to 4G last night, so I'll see when I drag myself out today if it's rectified itself.