I watched a YouTube video on the origins of Neo-Folk the other day which was actually quite interesting. It's a genre I've only ever skimmed, and much of what I have could only tenuously be considered a part of the style - or influenced by it.

I pulled out my copy of Black Ships Ate the Sky by Current 93 which I picked up in Tower back in 06-ish. I didn't like it back then. David Tibet's vocals were a turn off, but in revisiting it (hoarding wins again) I found it to be quite an interesting listen. I'm going to put on Dogs Blood Rising in a bit and see if it works for me, but I'm expecting it to be quite a different animal to Black Ships.

I listened to the debut by Death In June the other night and was surprised at how good it was. I think I expected it to be more ropey sounding but it sounded quite like a more minimal Joy Division. I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain physical recordings of these albums these days as the video mentioned a falling out between Tibet and Douglas P resulting in them not reissuing the early material from either band as each one contributed across the board to those albums. Pity.

Give me some good recommendations and give me info on the world of Neo-Folk please and thank you.

#1 September 17, 2024, 12:35:11 PM Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 12:37:41 PM by Maggot Colony
I'm not an expert on the genre, but I'd highly recommend Looking For Europe - The Neofolk Compendium which covers everything from Scott Walker to the likes of Death in June and Blood Axis. It's a weird mix of neo-folk, martial industrial, and darkwave/neoclassical tracks. It's where I discovered Empyrium - I'd recommend their album Weiland which is quite similar to Kveldssanger by Ulver.

Death of the West by Sol Invictus is another album I'd recommend, but Tony Wakeford's voice is an acquired taste. He's not as shrill as David Tibet but he has trouble keeping in tune. The music works despite this though. It adds to the charm in my opinion. Thunder Perfect Mind by Current 93 is also great, but I really have to be in the mood for it because of David Tibet's shrill voice.

Lex Talonius by Sol Invictus is pretty good but as MC said above, his voice takes getting used to. He can't pronounce his Rs which makes songs like The Ruins unintentionally funny but it's worth a listen nonetheless.

Tenhi are my favourite neo folk band. Their entire back catalogue is excellent. The problem with neo folk is that for every great band there are countless poor imitations, like all genres I suppose.

Sonne Hagal - Jordansfrost is probably my most listened to Neofolk album these days. Mixture of English and German vocals suits the music really well.

Know fuck all of the genre bar the aforementioned Looking for Europe compilation. This track is featured, and it's pretty great.

Quote from: Carnage on September 17, 2024, 01:03:32 PMLex Talonius by Sol Invictus is pretty good but as MC said above, his voice takes getting used to. He can't pronounce his Rs which makes songs like The Ruins unintentionally funny but it's worth a listen nonetheless.

"Foweva, amongst the wuins", fuck me I forgot about that :laugh:

#7 September 17, 2024, 05:58:16 PM Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 08:52:37 PM by Grim Reality
In terms of more modern bands I'd recommend Of The Wand And The Moon.

It's a funny old genre. Real marmite. I can't listen to C93 at all but find Sol Invictus excellent.

Another is Fire And Ice, maybe try Birdking album for starters. Voice again may put some off.

I'm pretty fond of DI6 up to the mid 90s. Nada! would be my personal pick.

The aforementioned Looking for Europe compo is great as it encapsulates all that is great but also all that is toe curling about the style.

Plenty to get my teeth into there. Thanks chaps.

I had Dogs Blood Rising on last night and it was completely different to Black Ships. Minimal industrial? I didn't hear any folk music in the songs I listened to but it was pretty good. Challenging stuff in many ways really. I might have a gander at Discogs as it's payday today but I'm not optimistic.

Posted about this project recently in the non metal now listening thread, Sieben:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCUhickkHQ&list=PL3BAA563A0E9F46FC

Outside of what's already been mentioned, I've always been a big fan of Cult of Youth, especially the s/t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMlSB5sZC8&list=OLAK5uy_nSU5XHPXGXd2qdmYDMjRDAh5XPHp9CIoE

Love that Cult of Youth album. Pretty sure he knows that one.

I saw them live in Japan in April. They were interesting live but not as good as on record, I thought. I couldn't bring myself to buy their LP though as it was close to $100! Fuck that shit. As with Rome, they'll remain a YouTube band for me.

It's under 20e on Sacred Bones.