Metal Warfare - Irish Metal Forum

Metal Discussion => Metal Discussion => Topic started by: Neuromancer on October 01, 2026, 01:30:31 PM

Title: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Neuromancer on October 01, 2026, 01:30:31 PM
On one hand I'd love to hear whether you reckon these are spoofs or not, and on the other want to hear the most ridiculous yarns someone has spun to you over the years in relation to Metal. (in real life of course, as everyone online is full of shit!)

Was chatting to a lad discussing our favourite albums etc, and the old Ride The Lightning Vs. Master Of Puppets debate came up, he said the first Metallica "album" he ever heard was "No Life 'Til Leather" and thats his favourite - when pushed on it he said he had heard on the tape trading scene before "Kill 'Em All" had even come out - I'm calling bullshit there - and for context he'd have been about 7 years old in 1982 and lived on the North Coast of NI, so there isn't a fucking chance he heard it before KEA came out.

But it did get me thinking - did the "No Life 'Til Leather" demo make it over here in tape trading circles before KEA?

Another one - when the Anvil documentary first came out years ago (2007/08?), we were discussing it in the pub and a lad chimes in with "I was actually  fan of Metal On Metal when it first came out, so I'm not just some trend hopper after the movie" - he would have been 8 or 9 years old in 1982. Again, seems unlikely a kid of that age would have been up on what I would consider a niche/underground release for he time.

How much traction did Anvil have in Ireland in the early 1980s? We're people here into Metal On Metal upon release or did it take a while to filter through?
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Anvil on October 01, 2026, 02:04:16 PM
Not guilty.   I didn't buy my first Anvil album until the 2000s  :laugh:

As I am bored in work... There is a UK & French version of Metal on Metal listed on Discogs with a 1982 release date, so it would have been available to purchase over here.  According to Google AI... Kerrang gave it a glowing review and championed it (but I can't find were the AI program actually pulled this info from so no idea if it has just made up or not...).  Maybe not a bluffer but I was 4 in 1982 and more interested in Basil Brush and Metal Micky according to my parents.   
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: DaveG on October 01, 2026, 02:24:11 PM
Anyone who was in the Belfast scene in the 2000s can probably guess who, but there was one character who claimed to attended Bathory's final gig in Belgium several years earlier.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Emphyrio on October 01, 2026, 02:25:17 PM

Quote from: Neuromancer on Today at 01:30:31 PMAnother one - when the Anvil documentary first came out years ago (2007/08?), we were discussing it in the pub and a lad chimes in with "I was actually  fan of Metal On Metal when it first came out, so I'm not just some trend hopper after the movie" - he would have been 8 or 9 years old in 1982. Again, seems unlikely a kid of that age would have been up on what I would consider a niche/underground release for he time.

Nobody listened to Anvil back then. Nobody listens to them now except maybe... Anvil here.

Great documentary, all the same.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Sworntothecans on October 01, 2026, 02:48:42 PM
Quote from: Anvil on Today at 02:04:16 PMNot guilty.   I didn't buy my first Anvil album until the 2000s  :laugh:

As I am bored in work... There is a UK & French version of Metal on Metal listed on Discogs with a 1982 release date, so it would have been available to purchase over here.  According to Google AI... Kerrang gave it a glowing review and championed it (but I can't find were the AI program actually pulled this info from so no idea if it has just made up or not...).  Maybe not a bluffer but I was 4 in 1982 and more interested in Basil Brush and Metal Micky according to my parents.   

If it was Malcolm Dome that did the review for Kerrang he was probably their press guy hence the glowing review.


Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Anvil on October 01, 2026, 03:02:33 PM
I'll have nothing bad said about the first three Anvil albums.  Feel free to go to town on the rest! 
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: John Kimble on October 01, 2026, 08:10:21 PM
Certainly not what the OP had in mind here but I'd just like to nominate that Dez Fafara lad as the biggest spoofer in metal. If anyone doesn't know who im on about, id recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. A few interviews with him have popped up of late on YT and you'd swear he was one of the most influential figures in heavy music. Lad has no idea how utterly inconsequential his garbage bands have been in the overall scheme of things, but you wouldn't think so the way he bangs on about it. An absolute chancer.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Barnacle Billy on October 01, 2026, 08:14:35 PM
Is that the 'Loco' song creator? If so, I'll give him that, but damn all else, as I made the mistake of listening to the album (once) after I heard the song.
The song is good though, I'll give him that.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Sworntothecans on October 01, 2026, 08:33:00 PM
Quote from: John Kimble on Today at 08:10:21 PMCertainly not what the OP had in mind here but I'd just like to nominate that Dez Fafara lad as the biggest spoofer in metal. If anyone doesn't know who im on about, id recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. A few interviews with him have popped up of late on YT and you'd swear he was one of the most influential figures in heavy music. Lad has no idea how utterly inconsequential his garbage bands have been in the overall scheme of things, but you wouldn't think so the way he bangs on about it. An absolute chancer.

Quote from: John Kimble on Today at 08:10:21 PMCertainly not what the OP had in mind here but I'd just like to nominate that Dez Fafara lad as the biggest spoofer in metal. If anyone doesn't know who im on about, id recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. A few interviews with him have popped up of late on YT and you'd swear he was one of the most influential figures in heavy music. Lad has no idea how utterly inconsequential his garbage bands have been in the overall scheme of things, but you wouldn't think so the way he bangs on about it. An absolute chancer.

No more than Dino & Robb the "fueled by Roadrunners UK press team in the 90s" kept the egos inflated.

Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: John Kimble on October 01, 2026, 09:11:04 PM
Well yeah, I suppose...but I can at least give them a degree of credit for Demanufacture and Burn my Eyes. That Fafara lad is like one of those compulsive liars we all know...story is all over the shop and changes like the seasons. I've read interviews with him where he takes credit for pretty much starting the nu-metal scene (btw, what a thing to take 'credit' for!!) when any of us unfortunate enough to have witnessed the scene at its 'peak' will recall that Coal Chamber were a bargain basement knock-off that followed very much in the wake of Korn, Deftones etc. And, of course, as soon as the bloated, stinking corpse of nu-metal started to outstay it's welcome, he was quick enough to jump ship onto the latest fad. And naturally back again, now that there's been an unlikely resurgence in nu-metal.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: mickO))) on October 01, 2026, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: John Kimble on Today at 08:10:21 PMCertainly not what the OP had in mind here but I'd just like to nominate that Dez Fafara lad as the biggest spoofer in metal. If anyone doesn't know who im on about, id recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. A few interviews with him have popped up of late on YT and you'd swear he was one of the most influential figures in heavy music. Lad has no idea how utterly inconsequential his garbage bands have been in the overall scheme of things, but you wouldn't think so the way he bangs on about it. An absolute chancer.

A lot worse than Dez about and at least back in my teenage years the first 2 Devildriver albums were great. Met him at the Rottfest 666 and he was a gent.
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: The Great Cull on October 01, 2026, 09:24:24 PM
Anyone read Steven Adlers book? There's a spoofer. Talks like a simple teenager about everyone he's banged etc
Title: Re: Heavy Metal Spoofers
Post by: Anton Arcane on October 01, 2026, 10:21:10 PM
I've had a few over the years. I had a friend in my teenage years that would spin yarns of absolute scutter about the famous people he met and the antics his "band" got up to. The lad didn't even have a guitar until I sold him one. It was always harmless though and his enthusiasm was infectious. Anyway, many years later, some stories about his home life began to come out. Really bad abuse and sexual stuff.

Now, being older and somewhat wiser, when I hear someone talking absolute and obvious bukllshit, I wonder what made that way. :-X