Guitar riffs/licks always get the limelight but a good bass line hits the spot too I think and are often overlooked? What got me thinking on this is that I've been on a Sisters Of Mercy binge and fuck me this bassline hits the spot every time!
Any others we should be aware of?
Boring answer alert, but the first song that popped into my head. Iron Maiden - Wrathchild.
Always loved the intro to Lethe
Life Eternal!
Hellhammer is some bassist...
Another obvious one Death 'The Philosopher', I'd also add Electric Wizard 'Funeralopolis'.
Always loved the short bass break in Morbid Angel's 'Suffocation'. Gnarly!
Type O Negative - We Hate Everyone
3 mins in and the bass line is just brilliant.
Quote from: The Ancient Ones on September 29, 2026, 11:11:29 AMAlways loved the short bass break in Morbid Angel's 'Suffocation'. Gnarly!
The very best of the bass breaks across early 90's death metal albums
Loads to choose from with Type O but the walking bass line at 1:34 is a savage overlooked one
Nirvana's Lounge Act immediately springs to mind.
The bass lick at the beginning of The Faceless - Ancient Covenant.
NIB is the Daddy of them all...
Ya, good call on NIB.
For Whom the Bell Tolls is probably my favourite, though.
Good call on Lounge Act, my least favourite song on the album at the time but probably my favourite now.
Another one that's as mainstream as it gets, I've always liked the intro to My Friend Of Misery.
Not metal at all but Orange Crush by R.E.M.
I prefer the slightly tapped bass line of Hairspray Queen over Lounge Act.
Keep thinking of a lot of basslines from Bolt Thrower but most stem from the guitar riffs which can be catchy as hell 8)
Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die has a deadly bass intro.
Tbat reminds me - Would?. Deadly.
Vinum Sabbathi by Electric Wizard and Love Song by The Damned.
Three Days by Jane's Addiction isn't metal but has some tasty bass.
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 29, 2026, 04:17:36 PMVinum Sabbathi by Electric Wizard and Love Song by The Damned.
Three Days by Jane's Addiction isn't metal but has some tasty bass.
Ah man, 'Three Days' cracker
'Tommy the Cat' Primus, loads more in the Primus discography I'm sure, but that's one that sticks out.
Quote from: The Great Cull on September 29, 2026, 02:35:05 PMNot metal at all but Orange Crush by R.E.M.
Weird synchronicity: listened to that for the first time in years yesterday, in the midst of taking the piss out of the O.O. mooks up Portadown way :laugh:
Cosmic Sea by Death comes to mind. Anything off Human really but at around the 2:30 mark, that's the one.
First one to mind has to be Black Sabbath - Lord Of This World. Absolutely incredible.
Steve DiGiorgio's entire performance on Autopsy's "Keeper of Decay" but from about 1.52 to the 2 minute mark in particular
See also: "Destined to Fester"
Disharmonic Orchestra's "Time Frame"
Gonna throw in 24-7 Spyz "Don't Break My Heart" as well for the craic, because funk metal existed wether we like it or not
Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 29, 2026, 10:15:42 PMSteve DiGiorgio's entire performance on Autopsy's "Keeper of Decay" but from about 1.52 to the 2 minute mark in particular
See also: "Destined to Fester"
Disharmonic Orchestra's "Time Frame"
Gonna throw in 24-7 Spyz "Don't Break My Heart" as well for the craic, because funk metal existed wether we like it or not
I have Gumbo Millennium on record. Always loved the cover, makes you smile...
As does opening track "John Connelly's Theory".... ;D
The start of Hammerhead from Flotsam & Jetsam, Newsted was a fucking beast
Jason Newstead:
Not too shabby, eh?
Quote from: Trev on September 29, 2026, 10:24:47 PMThe start of Hammerhead from Flotsam & Jetsam, Newsted was a fucking beast
Hahaha, only seeing your post now = touché
Synchronised brah :laugh:
I'm actually just after putting on Doomsday for the Deciever.....
Such a great album.......
Quote from: Naraka on September 29, 2026, 12:14:13 PMNirvana's Lounge Act immediately springs to mind.
The bass lick at the beginning of The Faceless - Ancient Covenant.
Lounge Act was the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title as well. Unreal.
Ministry - Leper is another class one while I'm here
Edit: I also think Primus - Shake Hands With Beef is brilliant
Good call above on 24-7 Spyz...
Not much of a Tool fan, but bass on The Pot is fantastic.
Probably get shunned for this too, but Duff's bass work on Sweet Child O' Mine makes the song.
Gotta give Lemmy some props, too. Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades... Iconic stuff. But then there's Orgasmatron for it's simplistic straight up heaviness.
Quote from: Trev on September 29, 2026, 10:24:47 PMThe start of Hammerhead from Flotsam & Jetsam, Newsted was a fucking beast
Ahh yeah that bassline is fucking fantastic.
Gotta mention Bill Gould - so many, but "Rn'R" is probably my favourite
Madder Mortem - Necropol Lit. Simple yet very effective.
Iron Maiden - Only The Good Die Young. That bridge part.
Metallica - The God That Failed.
Rebel Yell- Basic I know but drives it along nicely
Raging Speedhorn - The Gush
Therapy? - Innocent X
The Wedding Present - Kennedy
Anything Dan Lilker plays on.
The title track is also peetty bloody good.
https://youtu.be/-ky-hb0Pan0 Stuart Morrow
Grandmothers footsteps
New Model Army
Alice In Chains - Rotten Apple (what an intro)
Opeth - The Drapery Falls (carries that main opening section of the song)
Metallica - Orion (the first lead bass part in heavy breakdown, and obviously the whole mellow section in the second half)
Motorhead - Motorhead (live at Hammersmith version, monstrous!)
Faith No More - Kindergarten (as mentioned loads of his lines could be mentioned but I love his playing throughout this one, and there's an aul bass solo at some point as a bonus). 'Land of Sunshine' from this album gets a shout out too.
All of Steve Di Giorgio's stuff for Death pretty much has really memorable parts that stray away from the already class riffs.
That Sisters of Mercy bassline in the OP is proper class as well.
Just remembered this one too... not metal but it's one of the gold standards of a fuzz bass tone and such a heavy riff.
https://youtu.be/L2c17Ji4MwY?si=3YW9S1J1_1PXzxVz
Life of Agony- Through and through (the intro part)
Quote from: Nazgûl on September 30, 2026, 06:33:51 PMAlice In Chains - Rotten Apple (what an intro)
Opeth - The Drapery Falls (carries that main opening section of the song)
Metallica - Orion (the first lead bass part in heavy breakdown, and obviously the whole mellow section in the second half)
Motorhead - Motorhead (live at Hammersmith version, monstrous!)
Faith No More - Kindergarten (as mentioned loads of his lines could be mentioned but I love his playing throughout this one, and there's an aul bass solo at some point as a bonus). 'Land of Sunshine' from this album gets a shout out too.
Sodom - Ausgebombt
Megadave - Peace Sells
Overkill - Gasoline Dream
Simple (it must be, even I can play it), repetitive, but very effective.
Quote from: Carnage on September 30, 2026, 11:12:01 PM
Simple (it must be, even I can play it), repetitive, but very effective.
An absolute dinger of a tune how didn't I think of it