Anyone heard this yet? Basically an independent artist (and drag queen - real name Patrick Flegel) who has released this two hour album that's not available anywhere except his ancient geocities website (free to download, suggested Paypal donation of $30), or YouTube. He was the singer for popular alternative post punk band Women back in the day, which is how he still has a bit of cultural cachet. Basically Pitchfork (I know, I know) gave it a 9.1 and everyone is flocking to check it out and loving it. I listened and it's fucking amazing. Kind of laid-back, hazy, slightly psychedelic 60s pop vocals over 70s rock and glam. Every track over the 2hrs is good and sounds like some kind of lost classic. The production is also quite 70s. I've heard some people describe it online as the soundtrack to a trip through Twin Peaks, which probably isn't a terrible descriptor.

It's home recorded so the timing is a bit in and out, but the sound is great. he's a super talented guitar player and songwriter, lots of jazziness buried in there too.

Download it at his geocities here https://www.geocities.ws/ccqsk/

Or listen on YouTube here

Really strong recommend to check it out and listen to the whole thing. Covers so many different genres but makes it all sound consistent. Kind of feels like the modern day version of what something like Double Nickels on the Dime would be, in terms of it's content (in spirit), accessibility, and independence.

Yup. It's a fucking masterpiece. Has been on heavy repeat the past month. Favourites off it include All I Want Is You, Dracula and Lockstepp, but as you said it's all quality.

Absolutely love the release strategy as well, a massive fuck you to the demands of the day. 

Twin Peaks & The Minutemen?
Will give it a spin so!

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on April 29, 2024, 11:24:53 PMYup. It's a fucking masterpiece. Has been on heavy repeat the past month. Favourites off it include All I Want Is You, Dracula and Lockstepp, but as you said it's all quality.

Absolutely love the release strategy as well, a massive fuck you to the demands of the day. 

I love the release strategy too, like kind of anti-marketing. But mainly the idea that even with barely any support or availability, something can still push through because of its sheer quality. Feels like a win for musicians.

I love Lockstepp too, plus any of the overtly glammy stuff. Gayblevision is an awesome disco jam. There's even a bunch of instrumentals on there that sound like Danny Gatton. Whole thing is just amazing.

This is brilliant, getting Akron/Family and Devendra Banhart vibes in places