@jobrok - Cheers fella, I'll check that out. Is that the place that used to be Hassett's on Washington St?

Quote from: StoutAndAle on January 18, 2021, 01:49:19 PM
@jobrok - Cheers fella, I'll check that out. Is that the place that used to be Hassett's on Washington St?
Eeehhh!!!!  No clue...
Can't miss it, though.
It's right beside the Singer gaff in the corner.

I enjoy a good coffee but don't do them up very often.  I got my wife a Nespresso machine for Christmas and she is happy out with it because it's nicer than the instant and takes less effort than the french press.  There's some good ones in there, it does the job well.

My preferred at the minute is a french press and lavazza rossa.  Lovely coffee, standard enough fare compared to most of the stuff here but it is great, not too acidic, lovely flavour.  Two tablespoons into the press, get about two mugs.  Don't put milk or sugar near your coffee you fuckin degenerates, you'll ruin the cunting thing, even if it's just instant coffee (which i drink regularly too).  I must get a grinder and some beans to try out a few mentioned here.

Oh who was on about tea, tea is still great but again keep that fuckin milk to yourself.  And leave the bag in.  It's also lovely cold, I often forget about the cup I made for an hour or so if I'm doing something and it's just delicious having sat that long with the bag in.

Never understood having milk in coffee. Coffees have distinct flavours that are ruined with milk put in.

I sound like a bearded, tattooed, barista wanker but I stand by it.

Quote from: Blackout on January 18, 2021, 04:47:45 PM
Never understood having milk in coffee. Coffees have distinct flavours that are ruined with milk put in.

I sound like a bearded, tattooed, barista wanker but I stand by it.

I generally drink my coffee black but I have been know to add a drop of  milk to it from time to time. It can definitely mask the horrible acidity of cheaper coffees but (puts bearded, barista wanker beanie hat on) some coffee roasters suggest putting a drop of milk in certain roasts to bring out the flavour.

Silverskin had one a while back that tasted like a bitter fruit jam - very refeshing. One of the folks in my local haunt (Filter in Cork - one of the greats) suggested putting the tiniest drop of milk in it to see what I thought. The fucking thing tasted like a Black Forest Gateux - mind fuckery.

Coffee is generallly too sour without milk, though I always drink it black at work as everyone else does, I just got used to it there (usually no milk).

Tea needs milk though, and anyone leaving the bag in should be shot in the face. Savagery.

Lavazza rossa for me in the Italian stove top. Get away with that aul Nespresso. 

Quote from: Carnage on January 18, 2021, 05:22:42 PMTea needs milk though, and anyone leaving the bag in should be shot in the face. Savagery.
Very wrong.  Also great to leave the bag in for a quick top up if you're running low on bags.  Less wash up too, no spoons used.  More economical because there's less ingredients.  Delicious refreshment and extra strong because it steeps for so long.  Top tier.

Quote from: Don Gately on January 18, 2021, 08:34:48 PM
Lavazza rossa for me in the Italian stove top. Get away with that aul Nespresso.
The Lavazza rossa is delicious but I won't turn my nose up at the Nespresso either.  Or the instant stuff.  They all have their place

I think leaving the tea bag in is only taboo on the presumed condition that there's milk in there. I'm not a fan of "normal" tea black, but it's probably mainly a question of habit, and I've the habit of drinking plenty of others without milk so I just never really mess with what I'm used to in that way. Incidentally, I've no qualms about leaving the bag in with the milk; when I have a cup of the aul Barry's, I like it strong, often much stronger than the time allowed by whoever's waiting for me would leave room for, so the only thing to do is whack the milk in and leave it to steep some more.

Got a teapot there for Christmas from the Mrs, which is a rare enough item around here, enjoying me tae more than I have in a long time.

Moderately strong, drop of milk, no sugar. Don't fiddle with a classic beverage! I saw people mixing coke with beer in Germany, and Spaniards mixing single malt Islay whisky with that shite too.

Why do people do this?

Quote from: Caomhaoin on January 19, 2021, 07:53:42 AM
Got a teapot there for Christmas from the Mrs, which is a rare enough item around here, enjoying me tae more than I have in a long time.

Moderately strong, drop of milk, no sugar. Don't fiddle with a classic beverage! I saw people mixing coke with beer in Germany, and Spaniards mixing single malt Islay whisky with that shite too.

Why do people do this?
A fookin shlap is needed!

Quote from: Nazgûl on January 14, 2021, 04:12:17 PM
Bought our first espresso machine for the gaf there before Christmas and I'm delighted with it -- my body probably isn't however. Also no expert here, but since getting the aul machine I'm getting more into the whole grind/tamping/ratios/pour time...as well as the milk frothing as I like a Flat White.

Forgot to mention this the other day; try putting a little cube of ice in the jug with the milk when you're starting the frothing. Helps to get a nice, rich consistency - also full fat milk only - you might as well wipe your hole with 40 grit sandpaper as use low fat milk.

If yiz are looking for a quick hit, kenco milicanos Amercano Intense instant coffee is yer man.